What is the thyroid?
What are thyroid disorders?
Too little thyroid hormone production
Too much thyroid hormone production
Enlarged thyroid gland
Cancer within your thyroid gland
Swelling of your thyroid gland
Lumps on your thyroid gland
What are the symptoms of thyroid disorders?
- Weight gain
- Frequent, heavy menstrual periods
- Dry, coarse hair
- Dry skin
- Cold intolerance
- A hoarse voice
- Weight loss
- Muscle weakness or tremors
- Infrequent or scant menstrual periods
- Sleep disturbance
- Heat sensitivity
- Vision problems
- Eye irritation
What causes thyroid problems?
How are thyroid problems diagnosed?
What is the treatment for thyroid disorders?
Treatment for thyroid disorders depends on which specific condition you have.
- Medications: the type of medication depends on if the thyroid is over or under-producing hormones. For hyperthyroidism, medication could include anti-thyroid drugs which stop the thyroid gland from making hormones. For hypothyroidism, medication could include thyroid replacement medications which are synthetic drugs that produce thyroid hormones.
- Radioiodine therapy to shrink the thyroid gland
- Thyroid surgery
- Radiation or chemotherapy for thyroid cancer
- Targeted drug therapy
Don’t let symptoms of a thyroid problem lead to serious complications when simple treatments are available. Schedule an appointment with the team at Otolaryngology Associates over the phone or online today.